Artwork of a creative mind

Popular Posts

Sunday, September 25, 2011

When are we going to get it straight?

  It seems like there is a crisis over everything today.  Everything comes with some kind of issues that need to be ironed out.  It's impossible to just live carefree because everything has got some kind of catch or set back that comes along with the positive.  I don't know why finding housing has become a major project, but every time I go out to find a better place to live, I find that it is a full time job in itself.  Meanwhile, getting a full time job today seems like an impossibility.  People say, oh you just have to be willing to work.  That is not the half of it.  And ageism is rampant.  So I guess I don't have the kind of face that they want to see around, or something, but it doesn't follow that you just have to show up like the Mexicans who get all the jobs and be willing to do anything as they always say.  It doesn't work for me.
   And then there's an issue with every apartment I chose.  There are all these things that need fixing and just systems that seem to work much better for the landlord than they every did for me.  And it doesn't matter what they say about me, because I can't control a thing that they want to put on me.  I'm  supposed to grin and bear it. And the people who become victims oft he landlord's control over their lives, really have to live in the gutter.  When I left one of my previous apartments, I got thrown out the night before I was getting help to move.  So they put my stuff either at our shed, and the rest went into the gutter down on main st. where I was planning to stuff myself in.  The situation in the street got so bad that people had their hands all over my stuff.  Then the next day I went back to the apartment and the rest of my stuff was dumped in the trash.  Not only were they surly and pushy with members of the family all together to throw me out.  But they pick-pocketed my. last cash to boot.  And then they changed the lock on the door so I had no entry. And when the person who was working me on the move came around, they weren't much help in retrieving my stuff.  So I had to use the assistance of my mother to pick up my discarded property. It really doesn't make someone too happy with landlords the way they treat their renters.  And when I tried to sue over overpaid rent, it took me 29 months to get legal aid to come through with half of the settlement amount.  That is how our system works.  It doesn't.
   So this housing thing, I went for some help and instead they told me we can't do anything.  So even when you think you're going through the right channels, it's all on you.  You have to figure out how to make things work.  Or else you're going to have to suffer.  For the benefit of the landlord, he always comes first in the picture.  Even when he's wrong, try going against one who is a member of the local chamber of commerce.  I had my bathroom floor cave in at midnight one night.  It was so rotted it caved into the downstairs hall and on top of the people's kitchen downstairs.  It was crazy.  Boy did he get angry when I called the board of health after that one. But they gave me the song and dance routine.  Where is there any justice in the people who run the legal environment. 
  Or how about the time the upstairs neighbor shimmied down onto my terrace at 12:30 pm to break into my place,  They not only would throw wild parties until all hours, with the regular ball game crew, but curdling noises consistently came from that apartment.  He owned a set of weights which he reveled in throwing down on top of my head on a nightly basis.  And even as the police were called, the thud that came down over my head in the doorway was unbearably scary and yet they stood there and told me that they couldn't hear a thing.  Then when I called them out on a nightly phoning spree at 4:30 am, I was told that the tracers that I had put on the calls were only made at 1 pm and 7:30 pm and they were undoubtedly telemarketers.  I can't make this kind of stuff up,  I kid you not.



No comments:

Post a Comment