Artwork of a creative mind

Popular Posts

Thursday, November 3, 2011

I want to go places

   I really dream about living in a castle in Italy or France.  Those are the two most important places to me to visit before I croak.  I think they are better than here because they embrace the arts into their culture.  There the arts are embedded into their every day lives.  And we here are so separated.  We never get the benefit of government support for the arts that France or Italy receive.  We don't treasure our arts.  Yet people talk on end about how much art does for them.  They just don't want to put their money where their mouth is.  It's a sad state of affairs when the culture and art programming are always the first one's to go from school programming.  I hate the fact that we continually have to fight for the bare bones programs that are passed around.  I think this country should model itself after other countries who are doing a lot better with art programming all the way around. 
   Now that the floor has been taken out from under the federally funded art programs, artists are flocking to sights like Kickstarter and FundRaZR.  It's not the ideal, but it's a lot more than our government is doing for us.  In the long run, everyone seems to be talking about the National Endowment for the Arts being folded.  It doesn't make any sense to me in my mind to do that.  But then again, neither does so many things that the government do gel with my mind.   I wish they would run census' on what the public wants to do with the art programming in their community.  I think that they should take models of programs that have seemed to pull things together and model their programs after already tried and true recipes.  There is no doubt, that if things aren't working the way your're doing them, then you have to change your game plan.   And apparently there is a lot of change on the horizon.  Things are going to be different than they ever were.  And so is the economy.  That is without question.  But the question is; is it going to get any better?  Not if we keep on the track the way we're going.   Things need to change but the people in charge need to endorse that change.  I'm sure my grandparents are turning over in their graves.

No comments:

Post a Comment